Earthquake and disaster preparedness

Watching the news about the earthquake in Japan got me to thinking about what would happen here in an earthquake. Japan is the worlds leader in earthquake preparedness so if they have problems…things would be really bad in other countries.

Here in northeast Arkansas we are almost on top of the New Madrid fault. This area is where the worst earthquake to hit the eastern US happened back in the early 1800s. We have been told for years that another big quake could hit this area and that it would do a whole lot of damage this time because the population is much higher now.

I decided to some more reading on disaster preparedness. FEMA has a website with a preparation guide for disaster planning. There is also a website called 72 hours that has a lot of good information for disaster planning.

This is something everyone should do even if you don’t live on a fault line…there are plenty of other kinds of disasters that could hit you.  Tornados, fires, and floods happen pretty often in the US and there are others less likely but possible.

In my case most of the items needed are already available. We do need to have more water stored though. That has been put on my shopping list. How about you?

In Category: Miscellaneous

• Praises from a Wife and Mommy! March 11, 2011, 2:59 PM

Yes as a family it is good to discuss the plan for emergencies like this. IN WI I really only have to worry about Tornados and bad winter storms.

• Denise March 11, 2011, 4:30 PM

Thanks for stopping by Creative Kitchen! Nice to meet you :)

We live in South Florida so we deal with hurricanes…have had 3 major ones blow thru here back in 2004/2005. Hope we are good for another 100 yrs…LOL!

Denise @ Creative Kitchen

• Vera March 15, 2011, 7:20 PM

Thanks for visiting LuxuryReading.com! Stumbled you back!

• Erika March 15, 2011, 7:20 PM

I stumbled you & would love a stumble back – my post is Musings From a SAHM – Sleep, Thrush, Insurance, & Big Families
    Thanks & have a wonderful evening! :)
    ~Erika

• Kelly's Lucky You March 15, 2011, 9:14 PM

Former Girl Scout married to a former Boy Scout – we went through all the emer prep steps and have a kit and plan – need to check and update, though. Thank you for the reminder!

Stumbling you back :)

• ChildTalk March 15, 2011, 9:40 PM

My husband keeps us stocked! :)

Stumbling you back!

• Sara March 15, 2011, 9:53 PM

My husband keeps extra cases of water just in case.

I stumbled you. My post is http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/2011/03/harry-potter-is-not-childrens-book.html

• Ashley March 15, 2011, 11:48 PM

We really should have an emergency kit considering we live in Oklahoma. I need to put that one the to-do list! I stumbled your post, here is mine:

• Maple Leaf Mommy March 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
  • Still Blonde after all these YEARS March 18, 2011, 8:25 AM
  • Stefanie March 23, 2011, 12:55 PM

After the earthquake in Japan, my husband ordered a 4 person delux survival kit from Amazon and went to Costco and bought 10 (yes 10) cases of water. (We do live in CA, about 90 miles east of San Francisco) Check out his blog http://www.thexprt.com/ next week. I'm sure he will have a review of the kit once he has a chance to look over it good (it came Fed-Ex yesterday and he hasn't seen it yet)