Freezing Excess Food – Using Ice Trays

I was reading a book about cooking for beginners or people who just haven’t learned much about cooking for whatever reason. In my case it is just because I was never really all that interested.

Now I’m having to cook and trying to come up with things I can cook and that my husband likes without boring both of us to death.

I’m only in the 3rd chapter and already I’m learning things! Like the tip about freezing things in ice trays. I never ever would have thought of that…and my mother said she never did either and she does cook!

I have in the past followed a few recipes that called for items like black olives…but only a couple of tablespoons. I put the rest in the fridge and never used them. I really really really! dislike having to throw food out. It bugs the heck out of me.

The suggestion in the book is to put several teaspoons/tablespoons in each cube of an ice tray…freeze it over night and then put the cubes in a baggie.  Of course you need to label the baggie unless you are one of those wonderful strange people who never forget whats in your freezer.

The book says you can do that with lots of things…such as tomato paste, coconut milk, and chipotle chilies in adobo. I guess just about anything you can freeze would work…and then later you just use a cube or two when a recipe calls for it. No waste!

I am liking this book. I will be doing a review of that book later…after I read more of it. And I’m sure I’ll come up with a few more posts out of it too.

I’m going to try a few of the recipes too. I’ll let you know how that goes.

In Category: General

• Noah April 1, 2012, 12:14 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I’ve used it to freeze juices. They’re great to making drinks without diluting the flavor with water.
    Noah recently posted..espresso machineMy Profile

• Isra April 1, 2012, 5:40 AM

You know, I kind of heard of something like this awhile ago and it sounds so interesting and makes so much sense, I’m especially interested in it just for tomato paste, we waste so much of it! Can’t wait to hear more about the book!
    Isra recently posted..$5 for $77 Worth of Product at CVS 4/1-4/7My Profile

• Dede April 1, 2012, 8:41 AM

I used to do this with baby food, never thought to try it with leftovers or that bit of evaporated milk that would otherwise get wasted. But seriously, do you really use chipotle chilies in adobo, and/or coconut milk? I need to get more creative in the kitchen.

• Nikki April 1, 2012, 9:50 AM

That’s pretty cool! I don’t have a lot of room in my freezer, and I think this would ultimately save some space. Thanks for the tip!
    Nikki recently posted..Educational Insights $50 GC Giveaway: Keep Young Minds Sharp and EntertainedMy Profile

• Elle
      April 2, 2012, 6:19 PM

I didn’t think of that…but you could get several different items in one ice tray to freeze. And after they are frozen they shouldn’t take up much space in baggies.
      Elle recently posted..Conversation Requires Give And TakeMy Profile

• Vicki April 1, 2012, 11:58 AM

I’d never thought of using ice trays either, but it’s a great idea! I too hate throwing food out!