Do You Really Need A Cellphone?

June 26, 2012

Sitting in the doctors office yesterday there were about 10 people in there when we were and all but 2 of them had phones of some sort.

Most of them seemed to be playing games or checking facebook.

I bought a Tracfone 7 years ago just to have on the road for emergencies. Out on some of these country roads there are not too many houses so you have to walk a ways to find a phone if something happens.

Of course out here people do tend to stop and help if you are pulled over on the back roads but it is nice to have a phone in those situations.

That old phone has just about given up the ghost though. The keys started to stick and my hubby decided we needed a new one.

That old phone was just for calls. All the new phones seem to be internet ready and have cameras in them too. The camera part I really like…I can take pictures for my blog from anywhere!

However it seems to me that people are getting way too hooked on having the internet everywhere these days. The phone was bad enough…people can call you anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

Now you can get on Facebook anytime, anywhere. Or play games or check email. There is even less down time.

No wonder people are so stressed out these days. No one takes the time to just sit and relax or sit and think.

I’m wondering if people are scared of quiet these days. Scared to be still for a bit.

What do you think? Do you have your internet with you all the time? Does it add to stress? Do you ever get annoyed with being accessible at all times?

Do you need a cellphone?

1 Konstanz Silverbow June 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I totally agree! Every year I look forward to going camping where there is no cell service and no internet. It is wonderful! And it is really ironically funny that I saw this post today because my camp is tomorrow!

Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
Konstanz Silverbow recently posted..No blogging, I’m camping!My Profile

2 Crystal June 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I sometimes have to just turn my ringer off on my cell phone. If I had a house phone, I could simply be gone from the house and not get calls. It is really hard for me to not answer the phone if I hear it ring, so I have to turn off the ringer when I need some quiet me time. What amazes me is how annoyed people get at getting the voicemail, like you are required to answer the phone at all times.

That said, my phone is pretty basic compared to most. It does phone calls, text messaging, and has a basic camera, but it does not do internet or any data type stuff.
Crystal recently posted..BlogPaws Wrap-upMy Profile

3 Gail Baugniet June 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM

It is so frustrating to be around people talking on their cell phones. I like peace and quiet!
I don’t have a land line so my cell phone is my contact to the “outside” world but I don’t use it to access the internet.
Gail Baugniet recently posted..FAST FIVE Author Interview with Gordon KesslerMy Profile

4 Alison Bruce ( June 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I used to say I’d never get a cellphone. Then it became my ticket to freedom when I was taking care of my dad and sister. Without it, I couldn’t have left them alone.

I said I’d never get voice mail on it. After all, it let me know who called and I never turn it off, just down. Then my kids hit their teens. My cellphone is my business phone now.

I said I’d never pay for access to the internet… well I still don’t, but after being in hospital for a week… I have a data capable phone now.

5 Elle
June 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Yea sometimes you just have to change your mind. It depends on the situation.
Elle recently posted..Insurgent by Veronica Roth ReviewMy Profile

6 Cindy
June 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM

We gave up our landline a few years ago and have had cell phones ever since. I’ve been thinking lately about getting rid of them because they cost SO MUCH. We’re paying $120/month for two phone lines, and my husband and I only talk to each other and our parents. It seems like such a waste.

I can’t decide if we should attempt to live with no phone at all, go to a really basic pay-as-you-go phone, or go back to a landline. I do think people are too dependent on phones. They’re always staring at them and not looking at each other. :-(
Cindy recently posted..Mom of 3-2My Profile

7 Elle
June 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Yes that was the case at the doctors office the other day. Used to be you could talk to people while you wait…maybe make a new friend. They were all busy with their phones and didn’t even look at the other people..except for two others who said hi (they didn’t have a phone either).

That is sad.
Elle recently posted..Uncommon Goods Man Cave Gift Set ReviewMy Profile

8 Corinne June 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

We are a “talking society”, for some reason people love to talk on their cells regardless of their expense. Proof: My daughter, sister and a number of other friends who can go on for at least an hour at a time. I don’t do this basically because my ear starts to hurt after a while. But talking has become part of our global culture :)
Corinne recently posted..VPSMy Profile

9 Elle
June 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Yes and if you are talking to someone on the other side of the country that isn’t so bad. But if you are talking on the phone instead of talking to people you could actually see face to face…that is sad.
Elle recently posted..Nalgene Bottle From Reuseit.com ReviewMy Profile

10 jayedee dewitt June 27, 2012 at 5:40 AM

i loathe cell phones. it truly bothers me to see someone walk around a store, or worse, sitting in a restaurant, with one glued to their ear. we’ve turned into a generation who chooses electronic communications, as opposed to human interaction, to get us through our days. personally, i don’t own a cell phone, i hope i never do, but if that day should ever come, i really hope that i remember all the things about them that annoy me, and use it wisely and with restraint.
jayedee dewitt recently posted..Stress Less Kitchen Gadgets by Trudeau – product reviewMy Profile

11 Alison Bruce ( June 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I LOVE text messaging. It’s a great way for my kids to send me messages. It saves on long distance charges. I can get a message and respond to it when I’m ready to — unlike phone calls that demand immediate attention.

I HATE people who text when you’re talking to them. If one of my kid’s sends a message that I have to respond to, I excuse myself and take care of it. I don’t carry on whole conversations via text when I’m with someone else.

Sometimes I have to hate myself. Sometimes the text thing can be seductive… reeling you into its world. But I really try to remember that I need to practice what I preach.

12 Elle
June 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I’m glad you are trying! Yep seeing someone texting while they are supposed to be talking to you….well it just seems to me they don’t think talking to me is important…that I don’t deserve their attention. In which case I wish they wouldn’t bother at all. Then I wouldn’t know what they think of me…
Elle recently posted..Never Going To Be A Great CookMy Profile

13 Allicia Tresch June 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I really need cellphone for my business. This is the main way to communicate or call my staff. So, I couldn’t function well without my cellphone.
Allicia Tresch recently posted..Make Your Smile Gleam With This Teeth Whitening TipsMy Profile

14 Holly June 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Now that you mentioned it, it is stressful to be easily accessible at all times! Good thing about cell phones is that it really comes in handy during emergencies.

15 Sarah Pearce July 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I don’t usually use my cellphone. I just use it if there is an important text my family and friends.

16 Menno Bos July 10, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I kinda like the idea of being always accesible. All phones can be put on silent mode, so if I want to relax I just use that. At things like the doctor’s office, I always get bored while waiting. Internet can help ease my boredom :).
Menno Bos recently posted..parkeren schipholMy Profile

17 Willa Taley July 31, 2012 at 3:36 AM

I can live without cellphone. Since, I don’t want to text other people so it is okay that I don’t have cellphone.
Willa Taley recently posted..Toxic Colon : Detoxify your colonMy Profile

18 Bonnie January 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I agree. I love the quite times. I try to decompress each weekend. I take a break from blogging and enjoy my leisure time.
Bonnie recently posted..Winners Choice Gift Card #Giveaway #Bellies2Babies exp 1/15My Profile

19 Tazim
January 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I only just got a smartphone a few months ago. I don’t have a data plan, so I can’t really use a lot of it anyway – but I like the camera on it. I hate that I can’t even talk to people, though – they just want to text! They won’t even respond back for so long unlike people would before – returning calls in a timely fashion.

I usually bring a book with me places, in case I am waiting around or whatever. . .or I just stare off in the distance. :)
Tazim recently posted..Store Tour – Mid-Century Modern HOME in New Westminster B.C.My Profile

20 SHELLEY R ZUREK February 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I feel I do need a cell phone and it doesn’t distract me too much. Facebook on the other hand….
SHELLEY R ZUREK recently posted..Valentine Manicures — 11 Heartfelt Nail TreatmentsMy Profile

21 mark Davis sr February 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM

That’s it, I’m giving up on cellphones for 1 year. My health and life is more important. I went 9 years without a phone. And my sons got me hooked over nite. And the funny thing I really shouldnt even have one cause I have a defibrillator. So since I’ve had this phone for a year it has gotten me addicted to it no more. I’m going back to the oldd ways. “Talk” with my mouth!

22 Rita Wray April 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I have a cell phone but I never use it. I don’t carry it with me when I leave the house. I use the land line when I need to call someone. I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never sent a text message.

23 Suz Reads April 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I’m like you – I had a phone that was just for emergencies and was fine with that until the cell phone company forced us to upgrade. I had a hard time picking a new phone because I did not want all the gadgets – just to be able to call! I don’t want to be accessible all the time or on the internet all the time! I think it adds stress! Sitting in public places where everyone is on their cell phone just makes me want to start passing out books to give them another option! Great post!

24 Amy Orvin May 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I think cell phones should just be used for emergencies or be banned. They are stupid for anything else. That’s why I don’t have one. They are a waste of money.

25 Sarah L May 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

My phone makes calls. I spend about $10/month for it. I have internet access at home when I need it. No interest in anything else.

26 Kate F. May 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I don’t really need a cell phone. It’s just nice to have.

27 Ivan May 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM

A phone is necessary if you need communication..It was made for connecting people faster and easier..but too much cellphone is bad

28 Dan September 29, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I have a cellphone but only use it when there is a need.
I don’t use it for idle chat.

People have become so annoying with their phones and talk too loud in restaurants and on the street.
Those phones pick up very well and one does not need to talk so loud in to them.

29 Tyler
October 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Well, I’m 19 years old,and I have a little cheap prepaid flip phone that I’ve been using for awhile. I pay $16 a month for my service, because I never use it.
I never use it because I’m a proud loner who rarely ever uses his phone. I’ve been thinking about ditching my cell phone lately, but that constant worry is what hinders me from doing so. The fear of being stranded on the road somewhere and the like. I think I will eventually. I wouldn’t mind saving that 16 bucks a month. I’ve done the math,and I’d be saving about $200 in a year based on my average usage. Going cell phone free sounds pretty good right about now, honestly. I just wonder if it’s worth the risk.

I knew a guy at a previous job of mine that didn’t own a cell phone. I’m also a minimalist,and even though a cell phone adds no complication to my life unlike everyone else, it would be one less thing to worry about,and that’s always great.

30 Elle
October 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Having a cell phone in case you are stranded on the road or something like that sounds like a good reason. And I guess being safe and knowing you can call someone in an emergency adds a feeling of security. That is probably worth $16 bucks a month.
Elle recently posted..Birds Eye® Voila!® – Alfredo Chicken Family Size ReviewMy Profile

31 KMH January 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I have mine turned off most of the time, especially on the weekends. I have a land line where I can be reached. I laugh because it gets used as a backup alarm clock more than it does as a phone. Once my contract is up later this month I’m done with it; no more. I love the peace and quiet.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: