Going Barefoot In The Winter

January 14, 2013

Picture of bare feet.Is not too smart. If you have any choice anyway.

I made that mistake this morning. My hubby says it is below freezing. I can tell you the ground is cold!

I went out there with no shoes because he was feeding the dogs and one of them was trying to steal the food from the other one. I think she must be stealing from other dogs around here too…she is getting fat.

Anyway I went out to pull her away from the food. I didn’t have be out there very long but in that short time my feet got really cold. It actually hurt.

I haven’t been outside without shoes on in so long it is hard to remember when that was. Kids used to run around barefoot all summer when I was little. Not in the winter though.

And now I’m really SURE those tales about walking a mile to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways were just to make us feel spoiled.

I really feel sorry for any homeless folks out there right now. Especially the ones with no shoes. And those in the north must really be hurting. If it that bad down here in the south the cold up there really bites.

Those of you who can…keep your shoes on! And stay warm.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Ashleen Moreen January 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That seems very cold. Going out in the winter without slippers are quiet cool. By the way it is nice to go out in the winter with you barefoot.
Ashleen Moreen recently posted..Timber Sliding Doors To Make Best Use Of The Space In Your HomeMy Profile

2 Ghada
January 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Well, I went out without socks this morning, but by afternoon I was back on with the socks!
Ghada recently posted..Is It really Mid January?My Profile

3 Isra {TheFrugalette} January 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I cant even walk around my apt barefoot! The floors are too cold. :)
Isra {TheFrugalette} recently posted..Get Out of Debt- Join The Debt MovementMy Profile

4 Elle
January 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Oh yea that is the case with my place too most of the time lately. I usually wear socks at least inside. I didn’t have any on going outside because I just go out of bed and hadn’t woke up enough to get dressed…or have any sense.
Elle recently posted..Dreaming Of Books 2013My Profile

5 Erica
January 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Even though it’s really cold, I actually like the feel of snow on my bare feet :)
Erica recently posted..Recipe: Grain-Free, Refined-Sugar Free Chocolate Covered Apple Pumpkin Cake Pop DonutsMy Profile

6 Elle
January 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Well maybe for like 30 seconds or so…but after that…the toes get too cold!
Elle recently posted..What’s So Hard About Blogging Anyway?My Profile

7 Lindsey G January 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I heard so many of those stories too! I wore flip flops the other day for my daughter’s Beach Party {yes, in the middle of January} and my feet FROZE for just the little time I was outside!
Lindsey G recently posted..Earth’s Best Organic *NEW* Yogurt Puffs {giveaway!}My Profile

8 mryjhnsn
January 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I must admit, I am one of those people who walk around barefoot all of the time. I live in Cleveland and believe me, it is cold and if my socks go on the family knows it is exceptionally cold :)
mryjhnsn recently posted..Because Prompts Are Fun #1My Profile

9 Shary January 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I’m spoiled because I live in Florida and can go barefoot all the time. I’m sorry your little toes got froze!
Shary recently posted..My Proposal StoryMy Profile

10 Dawn
January 22, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I went to college in Boone, NC and it is so cold there in the winter. One day we got a huge blizzard and I was wearing those plastic rain boots. They have like no insulation and my feet were hurting so bad. I thought I was getting frostbit. When they finally started thawing, it hurt so bad I started crying. I will never forget that. I have never worn those boots since then. I feel so sorry for those without shoes or even those that have shoes but they aren’t good for the weather.

Dawn

11 Heather M January 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Very cold!! I love to be barefoot in the summer, but in the winter I constantly have a pair of socks on!

12 Emily January 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

A few mornings ago, I checked our weather. It was 10 degrees, with a windchill of negative 9. Immediately I thought of the homeless population in our community. My husband said that the local police know where the bulk of the homeless community gathers, and they pick them up and bring them to the police station or a local shelter. It’s so sad to think about that. Especially when I have so many pairs of socks – and so many extra winter coats.
Emily recently posted..Menu Planning TipsMy Profile

13 Suz Reads May 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I love going barefoot in the summer but not in the winter! Way too cold! It sounds like you went out for a good cause though :)