Practice Makes Perfect?

January 11, 2013

Pickture of someone playing piano.

People always tell you to practice whatever you want to be good at. That practice makes perfect!

However I once read somewhere that”practice without correction just makes you perfectly wrong”.

So I guess that means if I practice doing the housework wrong I’ll get really good at doing it wrong. I think the person who said that was actually talking about sports though. Or maybe playing an instrument.

I’m pretty sure that if you practice swinging a golf club wrong you will just get better at swinging it wrong…you game won’t improve at all.

I’m hoping that I haven’t been practicing writing wrong. Because it has been almost 2 years now and I hope I’m getting better at it.

I’m better at writing a lot of words anyway. Whether all those words are any better at getting idea across…dunno for sure.

When I first starting blogging almost two years ago I could barely string 50 words together and I thought that was something! These days I sometimes manage to write well over 300 words all by myself!

Of course if it really takes 10,000 hours to master a skill….then there are still about 7000 hours left to go.

That’s a lot more writing to do. Maybe by that time I’ll be ready to write that book my hubby keeps telling me I need to write. He hasn’t told me what it should be about yet though…

1 Lena - January 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Honestly, I have very little patience for anything these days. I have to make a serious effort to not multitask and just listen and learn
Lena – recently posted..Speed Stacks – Sport or Not?My Profile

2 Tazim
January 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I really like how you write. That may seem to be coming out of no where – but I think that your husband really has something there. :) I was reading this and thinking ‘wow’ – because I like how you worded everything. I know what you mean – I have been writing so much, I mean non-academically, but hopefully I’m not getting it all wrong. In university I could at least know if I was getting it right with marks/grades.

3 Elle
January 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Yea! I got good grades on all my papers back then but here it is hard to tell really…unless someone points out something wrong…or right.

I’m glad you like what I write. And thank you very much for telling me!

I think you are doing pretty danged good too. Especially on the nice comments :p
Elle recently posted..A Cast Of Stones By Patrick W. Carr ReviewMy Profile

4 Heather M January 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Practice does make perfect no matter what it is you’re trying to accomplish. Whether it be music, writing or just making a relationship work! It all takes time and it all takes practice.

5 Konstanz Silverbow January 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I love the “practice without correction just makes you perfectly wrong.” BECAUSE it is true. I play the violin and I can practice the same song everyday and if even one night is wrong, then I have to start over and do it right. And once I’ve practiced it for a week and doing it wrong, it takes two weeks to fix it.

I think the same thing can be applied to writing. I type super fast and that that took practice. But I still mess up. I still find a lot of typos. So maybe I shouldn’t have been practicing speed but practicing accuracy.

Anyway, awesome post!

~Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
Konstanz Silverbow recently posted..With the help of Gollum’s voice, I give you my exciting news!My Profile

6 Elle
January 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Oh I like the typing example! That is true of me too. I try to go too fast sometimes and make a mess of things.

Thanks!
Elle recently posted..The Best Laid PlansMy Profile

7 Stacey
January 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I used to say something like this when I coached cheerleading – “Practice makes permanent.” If you keep doing it wrong you will always do it wrong.
Stacey recently posted..The Importance Of Strength Training In Your Fitness ProgramMy Profile

8 JanetGoingCrazy January 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I think you are doing a great job with your writing so keep practicing what you’re doing!
JanetGoingCrazy recently posted..{Local Dallas Event} Enjoy a BLT with a Dallas Cowboys Superstar at Sams Club on Sunday, January 20My Profile

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: