Fresh Strawberries

Fresh Strawberries are wonderful! My husband picked them this morning and they really taste good. Look pretty good too don’t they?

They come from a planter in our front yard. My mother-in-law bought it for me last year as an early Christmas present.

Strawberry panter in my yard.It came with 50 Strawberry plants. I didn’t do anything to them last year except fertilize them. We ended up not even getting the mulch on them.

They made it through the winter with no problems though! A few weeks ago the flowers came out strong and now we have lots of Strawberries!

Strawberries waiting to be picked.I have given some to a friend that my hubby works with. I’m going to have to give some to my mom too. There are too many for us to eat before they go bad.

Some still need to be picked. I’ll get to that this afternoon if it doesn’t rain again.

I really like this pyramid planter. This one has metal sides and it is not too wide. So you don’t have trouble reaching all the plants to pick the berries or to weed around them.

You can make one of these out of scrap wood or whatever materials you have handy. My hubby made me a wooden one at our old place. You make it the same way.

Create the bottom area, fill it with dirt, and then place the top areas on that…and fill them with dirt.

I was thinking of having one made for other things. I could put a couple of squash plants, a couple of okra, a tomato…just enough to keep in salad fixing through the summer.

I think that would be cool. What do you think?

In Category: General

• Suzanne McClendon May 18, 2013, 2:58 AM

I love strawberries!

I think you have a great idea. Best wishes in your gardening endeavors. :)
    Suzanne McClendon recently posted..Old Newspapers: Rowland Reunion – Keowee Courier, 1899My Profile

• mryjhnsn
    May 18, 2013, 4:19 PM

I think that is so cool! I wish I had a green thumb!
    mryjhnsn recently posted..Ode to CafeMom Studios and Hot Dads Doing ChoresMy Profile

• Edgar Sullivan May 18, 2013, 11:13 PM

I use strawberry beds now, but as a child, we grew strawberries in a big barrel, which also works well for smaller spaces and limited production and for people who are not able to dig up big patches of sod. The strawberry barrel we used was made of wood with metal bands and was filled to the brim with dirt. Holes were cut in the barrel’s sides and the strawberry plants cascaded out of the holes. It was an attractive planter on our brick patio. If you like the barrel method, you could keep expanding with more barrels using runner cuttings to start new plants. Make sure you keep the barrels well-watered and fertilized with plant food, as they don’t draw the same nutrients as plants in the ground.
    Edgar Sullivan recently posted..No last blog posts to return.My Profile

• Christy Cummins May 21, 2013, 1:20 PM

I’ve thought about planting strawberries before but have not been successful with other plants in the past. This looks pretty easy. Also, I did not realize that they come back every year on their own. I thought you had to replant each year. Shows how much I know…

• Ellen May 23, 2013, 7:59 AM

We love strawberries but they can get so expensive and are typically overripe when you purchase them. The thought of having fresh ripe strawberries all summer long is simply sublime. I am so going to check into doing this. Thanks for the idea!!
    Ellen recently posted..End of the year Homeschool EvaluationsMy Profile

• Katerina B. May 24, 2013, 6:42 AM

I don’t know anything about gardening but I sure love strawberries. I still remember when I was younger, my grandma had strawberry plants and me and my cousins loved picking, washing and then eating them. :-)

• Sarah L May 27, 2013, 10:49 PM

They would have frozen here in Colorado where I live. Love fresh strawberries.

• Jennifer Holovack June 18, 2013, 5:31 AM

Beautiful! Fresh strawberries are 100 times more flavorful than store bought!

• ✩.•*ミ Amy Orvin ミ✩.•* June 18, 2013, 6:36 AM

They look so yummy! My mom loves strawberries, especially in smoothies.

• Nikki O June 18, 2013, 2:22 PM

Eeps! How I wish I could grow my own berries. Not possible in my country. They’d turn into dried fruits before I get a chance to touch them.

They do look lovely! What a great present that was. And is. A gift that keeps on giving!

Have a great summer with your new strawberries! You can always freeze some and throw some into your smoothies if you get tired of eating them.

• Vincent June 19, 2013, 2:30 PM

We have some strawberries in our garden, but they’re never enough. Too bad strawberries cost so much in the stores.

• Ron Ruedisueli June 30, 2013, 10:42 AM

I think you should do it!!

• Shannon May 6, 2014, 2:09 PM

I love fresh strawberries. Nothing like home-grown. I think that you should do another planter for any veggies you love.

• jenn huey June 29, 2014, 10:59 PM

Love the unique planter. I am a strawberry lover and have many plants as well