The Sun Is Hot And So Is Concrete

While I was in town yesterday doing our weekly shopping we stopped at an auto parts place downtown.

There was a guy there on a bike and he had his dog with him. It was just about noon and the sun had been shining pretty bright all morning. The temperature got up into the mid 90’s.

Maybe the fella lived close to the place and didn’t have far to go. I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter….it doesn’t take long to burn your feet if you step on hot concrete or asphalt.

And dogs paws can burn too. It probably does take them longer to burn than human feet since they are not running around in shoes all the time.

People used to go barefoot a lot but I haven’t seen anyone out and about without shoes in ages. Not even kids. So people tend to forget what the actual ground feels like.

If you are wondering…go walk in the road without your shoes this afternoon…or on any sunny day. See how it feels.

And be careful when you take your fur babies out for walks or rides.

And if they are outside make sure they have some shade and plenty of water available.

That goes for all animals not just dogs. My chickens were having a hard time yesterday. I put some fresh cool water out during the middle of the day and they went wading.

I wouldn’t mind going wading myself. I’m thinking about getting me a kiddie pool…just for wading.

What do you think?

In Category: Animals, General

• Terri M
    June 26, 2013, 10:19 AM

Even children’s toes at something so simple like the pool… my son has little blisters on the bottom of his toes from the concrete at the pool. :( If you wanna walk your dogs i suggest early morning or later in the evening either when it’s not quiet hot enough or is cooling off for the evening & don’t leave dogs in the car. :( Its like leaving a child in the car….

• Anita L June 28, 2013, 5:05 AM

This is very good advice and something that I wonder if some people even realize. I’ve seen many dogs out walking with their owners on what I would think is extremely hot concrete. I always take my dog’s welfare into consideration, and if it’s too hot out, he is usually inside with plenty of water and laying on my bed in the air conditioning. He’s spoiled :) Gotta love the animals.

• Katie June 28, 2013, 9:04 AM

it is extremely unfair to take dogs out in such hot conditions without any consideration

• margaret walker June 29, 2013, 12:37 AM

We walk our dog after the hottest part of the day is over. I don’t think many people realize the impact on their animals. Makes me crazy when I see dogs in parked cars left to wait in this hot sun!

• alicia k (Petite Pilates Pixie) June 29, 2013, 6:47 AM

if the concrete is hot on your feet, it is on theirs too!

• mc June 30, 2013, 11:44 AM

I always stay inside with my animals when it gets too hot :) and if I do go out I’ll keep them in the car and we can chill together with some ice cream and AC while watching the ocean! haha

• Arlene Whitfield June 30, 2013, 11:21 PM

Oh that poor precious dog. My heart broke when I looked at the picture. It’s hot out folks. Put some shoes on your dogs!!